Since 1886, the Antioch Missionary Baptist Church has served the Charlotte, NC Community and the Kingdom of God. During the years 1885-1886 a group of people met in the home of J.S. McVay, who became the first deacon of the church, and proceeded to organize and set apart the church in the year 1886 under the leadership of Rev. Pickenpack. During the first 129 years, the church has had only six (6) Pastors: Rev. S. W. Waddell (40 years), Rev. John B. Massey, Rev. G. W. Crosby, Rev. D. F. Moore (41 years), Rev. Preston Pendergrass (25 ½ years), and Rev. Donnie R. Garris. Rev. Garris accepted the call to the Church on January 26, 1997, and began his service on March 2, 1997.
For a considerable time, the Church worshipped and held meetings under a Brush Arbor when the weather permitted. Later, the Church was granted permission to use a local schoolhouse for its meetings. On November 23, 1885 the Church purchased a tract of land off old Monroe Road that was used for a building and a cemetery. The church cemetery ha been the resting place for many of our past and present members. The first building, erected in the year 1900, was possibly destroyed by fire. A second building erected on the same site in 1922 housed the church's activities until the present building was constructed and occupied on September 14, 1975.
During the tenure of Rev. Pendergrass, the church purchased a parsonage located at 1027 Nancy Drive, which was purchased by Rev. Pendergrass in the late 1980s. On September 14, 1975 Antioch occupied and dedicated its present sanctuary and other facilities. A multi-purpose expansion building, named the P. C. Pendergrass Multi-purpose Building in honor of Rev. Pendergrass was completed and occupied in July 1986. This building, attached to the existing building, houses the administrative offices, kitchen and dining area, choir rooms, a conference room, lounge and other facilities.
Under Pastor Garris' leadership, there has been a great increase in the spiritual life, ministry and membership of the church. Renovations and beautification were made to the sanctuary and multi-purpose building in 1999.
Rev. Pendergrass retired on December 31, 1995. He left us with the faith that he preached with zealous conviction for 25½ years as he preceded us in receiving the gift of eternal life. On May 14, 1998, the Antioch Baptist Church family led by Rev. Garris said farewell to a stalwart pastor-leader and gave a final salute to a strong Christian Soldier.
Rev. Garris’ installation service and activities were held July 11-13, 1997. During his sixteen years as pastor, there has been a great increase in the spiritual life and membership of the church. Currently the church has 38 active ministries for adults, children and youth, 11 associate ministers, 21 deacons, 23 deaconess, 17 trustees, and about 650 working laity.
The Lord is showing favor by adding to the church, therefore, more space is needed to house our various ministry needs. Antioch has received a vision from God to build a ministry center. Our vision will provide space for more classrooms built for high-tech and visual learning, office space for current and additional administrative and ministry staff .persons; a larger multi-purpose area for dining and .recreation and other needed facilities. The first phase of our vision will be to beautify the front and add classrooms, an inviting entrance/lobby, and restrooms.
Antioch is affiliated with the following civic and community organizations in an effort to raise the standards and perception of our community as well as to provide youth in the community with after school and summer school programs: Crossroads Cooperation for Affordable Housing and Community Development, Inc., R.A.I.N. (Regional AIDS Interfaith Network), Greater Grier Heights Community (Antioch, Grier Heights Presbyterian Church, Myers Park Presbyterian Church, and Westminster Presbyterian Church), Charlotte Police Department, Grier Heights Community Organization and other local agencies. In 2010 we housed a summer feeding program for children through the Kennedy Foundation. Since 2012, we have supported the team and mothers of the Urban Eagles Soccer Team.
Religious affiliations include: General Baptist State Convention and its auxiliaries, Progressive National Baptist convention and its auxiliaries, and the United Missionary Baptist Association and its auxiliaries (as of October 9, 2012). We are involved in various local outreach programs and missions, and have been involved in foreign mission to Jamaica, and .
The Church Mission Statement is: “Helping Persons to Realize God’s Intent for His or Her Life .” Antioch Missionary Baptist Church celebrates a very long history that covers 132 years of service to the Kingdom of God in the city of Charlotte, NC. We are indeed ‘Exercising Faith and Experiencing God as we “extend our witness,” “respond to God’s ability” and be intentional about who we are and what we do" to bring more glory to our heavenly Father!”